Breastfeeding is the best way of providing ideal food for the healthy growth and development of
babies. It has many benefits for the infant and the mother.
Benefits of Breastmilk/Breastfeeding:
• It provides all the energy and essential nutrients from birth up to 6 months of life.
• The first few drops of breastmilk called colustrum contains antibodies that protect babies against infectious and chronic diseases, such as diarrhea or pneumonia.
• It strengthens the bond with mother and child.
• It reduces the risk of ovarian and breasts cancer of the mother.
• It helps space pregnancies due to the hormonal effect which often induces cessation of menstruation.